Academic Advising

The Academic Advising website offers students and advisors the opportunity to gain knowledge and skills to ensure a productive and positive academic advising experience.  

For Current Students

Undergraduate Students: 

Your Advisor, Your Responsibilities

All Murray State Undergraduate Students must be advised by an Academic Advisor in order to be able to register for classes. 

Who is my Advisor? What are my Responsibilities for Academic Advising? What are my Advisor's Responsibilities?
For more information on what you need to do and bring with you see Academic Advising session .   Planning Worksheet  can help you  make a semester-by-semester plan for courses you will need. 

How do I access myGate from a mobile device?
Use Menu icon to open drop-down with icons. Graduation hat is the icon for Academics tab. Use your Racer Academic Completion Report (RACR) to evaluate which classes you need. See  the RACR tutorials  for help.

What if I have AP Scores coming in?
Check AP Equivalencies and contact your Academic Advisor if your schedule needs updating.

What if I want to declare/change area, major,  or minor?
See Declaring or Changing a major/minor for more information.

Reminder: YOU are responsible for your academic success, and Murray State University Academic Advising is here to help you to achieve your goals.

If you need further assistance, please contact your Academic Advisor, Department Chair, or Program Coordinator. You many also contact Academic Advising at

Graduate Students: Please contact your Department Chair or Program Coordinator for Academic Advising information.

Get Help NOW

Visit  Quick Links for a list of campus-wide services.

Questions about your Program? Can't reach your Academic Advisor? Use the following links to contact your College/Department directly:

Still need help or not sure where to start?  Contact 

Calendar, Forms, Bulletin

 Registrar Calender will provide you with important academic deadlines. 

Visit Forms for Change of Major/Area/Advisor, Overload, Appeals, Name Change, Preferred First Name.

Visit Office of the Registrar and scroll down for Bulletins to check your RACR for Bulletin year in force for you.

Registrar, Graduation, Bursar, Financial Aid, Scholarships

Visit the  Registrar's Office for information about academic records, enrollment verification, RACR questions and problems, transcripts, and graduation or call 270.809.5630.

Visit the  Bursar's Office for information about tuition and fees or call 270.809.4227.

  • CHECK with the Bursar's Office before you drop classes.

  •  Visit  Financial Aid for questions about refund, grants, loans, and FAFSA or call 270.809.2546.  FAFSA needs to be completed EVERY year.

  • Visit Scholarships for scholarship questions or call 270.809.3225.

    Contact the Scholarship Office before you drop or audit classes or change programs.

How to Read Your RACR

The Racer Academic Completion Report (RACR) is your interactive tool to track your progress toward graduation. Check out the RACR tutorials to learn how to read and use your RACR.
Recommended: Follow along with your own RACR (second screen or on your mobile device). (Updated 3/17)

Learn how to use the  What-If feature to see how your program of study would change with a different area, major, minor, second major or minor, Bulletin year, etc. Easy and fun to use!

Reminder: A Planning Worksheet can be helpful for making a semester-by-semester plan for courses you will need.

Registration 101 

To register for classes you must have your Advisor Hold cleared by being advised by an academic advisor, your department chair, or program coordinator. Check out this tutorial on  registering for classes. 

Registration can be found on  myGate under Academics, Add or Drop Classes. 
Note: You may need to complete a  pre-registration verification form before you can register. 

Reminder:  A Planning Worksheet may be helpful for making a semester-by-semester plan for courses you will need. A  Scheduling Grid can also be used for additional support. 

Area, Major,  Minor -- Find, Change

An Area is a comprehensive program that works with University Studies to make up your academic program. A Major and Minor work together with University studies to make up your academic program. Your program can be identified on RACR under your area or major.

Area or Major MUST be declared before registration following your completion of 45 credit hours. If you have/need a Minor, Minor must be declared before registration following your completion of 60 credit hours.

You may combine an Area and a Minor, or more than one Area, Major, or Minor, but doing so likely will require extra credit hours. Discuss with your Academic Advisor and chairs/program coordinators of the programs you want to include.

Note: If your Financial Aid or Scholarship is linked to your current area or major check with the Financial Aid and/or Scholarship Office before changing your program. 

Online , Second-Half-Semester, Transfer Info

You can find web, second-half semester, and other term courses through myGate course search feature.

For questions about how transfer courses will count towards Murray State visit the Transfer Center website.

Audit and W-Drop Information

 Access the Registrar's website and then click on Add/Drop Registration Information to learn more about these options.  Talk with you academic advisor and staff in Financial Aid before you drop or audit a course.  Make an educated decision.

Consent to Release

 Check out the Consent to Release Guide for information regarding what consent is and why you need to know it. 

 Advisor Trouble

Trouble with your Academic Advisor?  Connect with your department chair or  contact

Reminder: If you do not get a response from your Academic Advisor OR if you get an out-of-office response, contact your Department Chair.

For Academic Advisors

Undergraduate Academic Advisors:

Academic Advising for Advanced Scheduling and Racer Nation Orientation

Information regarding undergraduate student advising:

Need information or training? Contact

Note to All Academic Advisors: Be sure that you have accurate up-to-date information. When in doubt, refer student or advisee to a person who has the accurate up-to-date information needed. Consult Registrar, Bursar, Financial Aid, Scholarship, or other offices. Refer to  Quick Links for contact information.

Undergraduate Academic Advising Checklist

Contact your advisees using myGate Teaching/Advising My Advisees. The envelope icon at the top of the page provides an email list for your advisees. A  sample email is provided.

Your program should have a four-year Plan or you can use a generic plan worksheet

Need information or training? Contact Academic Advising at  

RACR -  Racer Academic Completion Report

The RACR, Racer Academic Completion Report, is the tool that the Registrar uses to determine a student's status and progress toward graduation. Advisors need to help students monitor their RACRs and to make sure all student RACRs are accurate and up-to-date. If coursework is missing or applied incorrectly, usually an advisor's intervention is needed to fix these problems. This training includes information on how to use, fix, and get help with RACR. 

RACR is accessed through myGate, Teaching/Advising, RACR Degree Audit. If you do not have access to RACR (if the screen is blank), contact RACR office at 

RACR Advisor Training and Tutorials

Academic Advisor Professional Development

>> Training for Advanced Scheduling and Having a Productive Student Meeting will occur in October offered through the Center for Student Engagement and Success with the Registrar's Office <<

Advanced Scheduling for Spring 2022 begins November 1; Advanced Scheduling for Winter 2021 begins Oct. 25.


>> Academic Advising Series offered through the Faculty Development Center <<

What resources, ideas, and tips do you need to be an effective academic advisor?

The Academic Advising Series will allow academic advisors and support staff the opportunity to engage with presenters on important, pertinent and best practice academic advising topics. Participants will get strategies to develop and refine their academic advising skills, compile an academic advising resource toolkit, review relevant resources, and consider the needs of today's students to have more productive advising sessions.

When: Tuesdays and Wednesdays, 12:30 - 1:20 pm

Note: Videos are hyperlinked on the session title text.

  • Bonus Item! Each session will include an advising best practice tip or idea to help advisors in their critically important role of supporting students.

Facilitator: Peggy Whaley, Director, Student Engagement and Success

Where: Online: Via Zoom: my/msufacdev


Transfer Advising

 Transfer Center website

Note: Transfer students are directed to contact their Academic Advisors or Department Chairs as soon as they are admitted so that they can register as soon as possible. Transfer students should NOT wait until Transfer Spring or Racer Nation Orientation to be advised or to register for classes. Registration for Winter and Spring courses opens in early November, and for Summer and Fall courses in early April. For summer and winter breaks, set your out-of-office notifications so that students will be redirected to your Chair or Coordinator. 

Starfish Student Success Network - Getting Help for Students

For more information on using Starfish for your students, visit

Raise a Flag or  Kudo for one of your students.  Raise flags  for attendance, academic performance, or other issues that may affect academic success. Starfish is linked through myGate Teaching/Advising and is managed by the Center for Student Engagement and Success (Director Peggy Whaley / 270.809.2274).

Drop vs. Audit

Should your student or advisee drop or audit a class? Should you allow a student to audit your class? View information on the Registrar's website with regard to audit and withdrawing procedures, policies and deadlines.  There  are many factors that  should be considered by the student, in consultation with you, prior to auditing or dropping a course.  Identify the questions, getting answers, and helping the student make an informed decision is key.

Bursar's Note: Students MUST drop and add on the SAME DAY to reduce or prevent added expenses. Student or advisee should contact the Bursar's Office BEFORE dropping a class.

Financial Aid Office Note: Before dropping or auditing a class or changing program, student or advisee should contact the Financial Aid Office and consult with a Financial Aid Counselor.

Scholarship Office Note: Before dropping or auditing a class or changing program, student or advisee should contact the Scholarship Office. Audited courses do not count for most scholarships. If a student or advisee loses a scholarship, the student or advisee will receive information on appeals.

International Students and Advising

Contact the International Student Services Office for questions about International Students and Advising.

Consent to Release 

Before releasing any information (in person, over the phone, via email), be sure that you know your responsibilities. Check out Consent to Release and FERPA regulations for more information.

For Prospective Students

Contact Admissions or the Transfer Center to schedule a campus visit and to apply.


Graduate Students: Contact your Program Director for information or apply here.

For New/Admitted Students

First-Time College Students: Register for  Racer Nation Orientation   -- you will register for classes at orientation.  Contact Admissions if you need to change or major or have questions about enrollment or transferring in credits.

Transfer and Graduate Students: Go to myGate, Academics, and identify your Academic Advisor -- contact Academic Advisor or department chair and register for classes. Contact the Transfer Center for questions about transfer or course equivalencies.

Summer Academic Advising: Your Academic Advisor is named on your myGate Academics tab. If you cannot reach your advisor over the summer, contact your Department Chair or Program Coordinator. They will be glad to help you while your regular academic advisor is away. If your Department cannot help, contact your Dean's Office. Don't wait -- get the advising you need when you need it!

All students: As soon as you are admitted to Murray State University, go to myGate, Academics, and look for your RACR. Visit How to Read a RACR for help.
Note:  Check AP Equivalencies and contact your Academic Advisor if you need to revise your schedule.


  • You can look up classes and course fees on myGate Academics under Registration Tools
  • Scheduling Grid can assist you with organizing and planning for your classes.

The Academic Advising website is a resource of Murray State University Academic Advising. Questions, comments, suggestions? Please email